NAH NAIJA WE DEY

by - 12:41:00 am



Photography by me

"Nah Naija we dey" simply means "we are in Nigeria" in our slang.

I love my country really, it's the reason I decided to come home after several years in Thailand, but in as much as I love my Naija (Nigeria) there are certain things that are well not so great about it. If you've ever lived in Nigeria or visited you would understand.

Having spent half of my life outside the country; five years in Israel, six in Thailand and a couple months in Equatorial Guinea, it's always an adjustment coming back but this time it hit me hard, probably because I'm older now. The biggest struggle has been my access to the net. Technological advancements are quite pricey here. Blogging takes up a lot of my internet browsing (I'm not complaining though) while catching up with friends around the world takes up the rest and then there is the occasional streaming of videos or watching YouTube. In fact, I often say I probably spend someone's monthly salary on internet browsing but it really can't be helped.

Not to mention, NEPA or whatever they call themselves is always unfaithful. For my Naija (Nigerian) people you know what I mean. Surprisingly this is something I adjusted to quite quickly. What's a girl going to do though? Do I need to even address the fuel issue?

I actually came back for my NYSC (National Youth Service Corps) which is a compulsory one year youth training program but I wasn't able to register on time. Since I don't have a job yet I spend most of my time scouting for locations and taking pictures. By the way I'm looking for a job so if you know of any place hiring, hook a sister up (#Nigeriaishard #Ineedmoneytoflex).

The hardest part of this whole process is not having friends and family around. My family is not here at the moment so I stay with my aunt, she's cool. When I left the country years ago I barely kept in touch with the few friends I had at the time. Hence, I spend a lot of time on social media, catching up with my friends oversees. What I've realized though is how comfortable I am with myself. I spend a lot of time reflecting and planning for the future.

What I do love about being back though is the food! The opportunities here are endless as well. And can I just say it's nice seeing cute guys around for a change, no more uncles. For those who don't know an uncle is a guy over the age of 30 who has a pot belly and insists on saying age is just a number when you tell them they're too old for you. On another note, Nigerian guys are annoyingly persistent meaning they don't take no for an answer. I was even followed from the bus stop by one who would just not quit, I have a lot of stories on this.

What I've learnt is the power of these three worlds "It is well". Whenever I see something that just makes me reconsider coming back, I just take comfort in those three words.

It's good to be back though.

What are some adjustments you've had to make when moving to a new place?
By the way stay tuned for a post (possibly a video) on tips on how to survive in Nigeria.
Would you like to see more posts like this?

You May Also Like

12 comments

  1. Haha welcome to naija...that internet struggs was real when I went home for the break!! We will not discuss nepa and fuel..tsk
    www.officialfantasy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i lived in Nigeria for about 15yrs, it was a bitter sweet experience from the village then moving to Lag, yea the light thing is just plain crazy and still dont understand why we are supplying electricity to Ghana and Benin rep when we dont even have enough. In all those years we never had internet, even thought my parents sent money for my uncle to but hey i guess they used it for something more important. But Nigerians are really fun people, i think you should go out more and meet people, even link up with fellow bloggers, at least you would have something and somewhere to go when you get too bored and there is no light.

    Simply Uneeke

    ReplyDelete
  3. It takes quite some time to adjust but eventually everything will fall into place and God has plans for each and everyone of us and knows where you are best protected by Him... Wish you all the BEST in everything you do and will be doing... Going back home might just as well be the beginning of an Amazing Journey of your life
    xx

    Http://www.fashiongalorelovers.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has nothing to do with your post but where did you get your tripod?

    Moving back to Nigeria... hmm. It's been 4 years and I'm still adjusting. Ready to move back to Atlanta honestly.

    Berry Dakara Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually its such posts that make others grateful for the little they have, like internet, at least we get to purchase unlimited data bundles that can take you through a day or month, its not as bad here :)
    loved reading this and on a positive vibe, your country is beautiful, from the pics i see up there :)

    www.wanjiruwangethe.me.ke

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can notably say the Internet issue tops off the situation, my dear its well :D and you're doing great adjusting, you can call sometime for us to see and hangout when I'm free

    gafashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Toluwalade, the internet struggle is definitely real, smh the fuel and NEPA issue can get depressing at times.
    @Simpky uneeke yeah girl the irony of the whole situation is puzzling. As internet, I know it's not a priority for everyone. In fact I remember complaining about my internet limitation and Someone said, Kai you dey chop internet too much o. Lol Nigerians always have something entertaining to say. So even though I am yet to have friends, I don't get bored plus I rarely stay at home, I just chill with myself.
    @Wenloditoh, God definitely has a bigger plan which is why I keep it moving. I'm already seeing my journey unfold, slowly but surely. Thank you
    @Berry lol girl I got it in Thailand. As for adjusting, it's never easy especially when you you get used to certain comforts. Though as of now I don't see myself moving back to Thailand permanently.
    @Wanijiru glad you liked it and yes Nigeria is beautiful. Hopefully some day the cost of internet access will reduce.
    @Grace yes girl, it is well. Hanging out would be great, especially since I'm still discovering the city.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this read and yes I'd love to read more on this and your Isreal and Thaillad experience as these countries are so unique and are on my visit wish list. Do you speak Thai? Anyway I've not been to Nigeria in years, hoping to visit soon but even back then I remember electricity or is it Nepal being an issue. Gosh I hope this improves soon! And I I'm sorry to hear your family and friends are not there, it makes it harder but makes you stronger and I do think social media is great for that connection:). Great post!
    www.yvonnesloves.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Yvonne well the issue with NEPA is that it's better in certain places like the town area. I remember someone telling me for the most part there is light 24 hours but outside of town it's either rotation or whenever they feel like smh. As for my experience in Israel I was quite young and don't really remember much but I'll see. For Thailand maybe I could do more posts on life there and yes I do speak Thai.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great post and you have visited and lived in interesting countries. I'll love to visit Israel and Thailand too.
    Nigeria is really looking beautiful in these pictures. It is a little over ten years since I last visited and I'm sure things/places would be quite different now. I am still shocked about the electricity issue though.
    Enjoy your time over there and thanks for this update.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praise the Lord @ no more uncles!
    I can't lie, the eye candy was definitely a welcome antidote to the hustle and bustle of las gidi loooool
    I miss Naij man! *sobs*

    BLEURGH - http://www.bleurghnow.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. the internet struggle is real i tell you! with doing youtube videos u almost are so conscious of the time you spend so u dnt use up so much data.
    www.cheecheelive.com

    ReplyDelete