KANGA FASHION FESTIVAL ABUJA

by - 2:48:00 pm



Hey beautiful people, thank God it’s Friday! While I'm excited for the weekend I already know it’s going to be so full with barely anytime to rest. Nevertheless thank God its Friday.

As mentioned, last week Saturday I attended the Kanga Fashion Festival at the Flaming Flamingo Rooftop in Gwarimpa. The event was organized by sisters Aysha and Amira who actually blog at Kanga Magazine. Now when I was contacted about the event I was quite excited. We all know that Lagos people have all the fun when it comes to fashion, networking events or basically all events in general, case in point the ongoing Social Media Week.

Now beside the Pamdora Store Launch, this is the only other blogging related event that I've attended (this has to change). The event started in classic African style, beginning almost two hours late (African time smh), can't blame the organizers though.
There were a lot of familiar faces in attendance and I took a lot of pictures so stay with me guys.






The event had people slaying in style like the lovely lady in a low cut, who upon interaction I found out her name is actually Mide. Don’t you just love how she incorporated ankara into an everyday look? I'll definitely be trying this out once I get a new pair of jeans. I also loved how this second lady rocked this look, modest but oh so stylish, she kind of reminded me of Hafsah of Hafymo with this style.




There were quite a few designers who showcased their designs, however due to the organization it was quite hard to hear the names. Shout out to the above designers especially Salamay Co,the designer of that ankara kimono, amazing job, I'd definitely rock the hell out of that piece. 



 The designs by Wadzz RTW were my all-time favourite, a round of applause to the designer. I mean there was so much cohesion with the fabric selection and elegant style. She also got such beautiful models to rock those items and I was instantly reminded of me and my friends having a glam moment. I also love the modesty of the collection and the incorporation of the various trends including the flared sleeve, bell sleeves, ruffles, cold shoulder and the pyjama trend. Can you see I'm in love? She nailed it hands down. It really is awesome to see our local designers coming up, this has to be one of the only perks of the current forex crisis. So yes to Made in Nigeria.



Design by Fadesomi, talk about English wear meets Ankara African print. I liked the simplicity of the pieces. Florals are definitely making a comeback this year.


There were several bloggers in attendance which was great as everyone was so friendly. You know when you follow people online for a while, they become friends in your head and you finally meet them and it turns out great? That was how I felt. I had a great time with Larisa of Larisasdiary and her friend Winifred. I also met Vanessa of Stylebyohaha, who I had been following on twitter prior the event. And I met Janet of Lifestylebyjanet who was wearing one of the designers, Fadesomi. You can see fashion blogger in Abuja are more than we think lol.

Deola of Portableisthenewhot,such a sweet lady, we actually met in Cross River state where we both did our NYSC last year

Mabel of Mabelozumba, yall should tell her to come back oh


Bella of Iambrownie also came and as expected her makeup was on point. I also met Indianarose. Hanifa was there as well, I don't know why I didn’t say hi.

With Mia one of the founders

Big thumbs up to the organizers for a great initiative. Of course with every event there were some areas that needed improvement but I know it’s not easy. So I applaud the Kanga team and look forward to more of such events, Abuja people we need to step up.

Did you attend the Kanga Fashion Festival? What were your thoughts? Have you met online people in real life, what was your experience? Which designer was your favourite? Would you like to see more posts like this? If you’re in Abuja, would you be interested in more networking events like this?

Lets keep in touch 

You May Also Like

20 comments

  1. Yes to more events like this in Abuja! We really need to step it up and this event was more like a wake up call because a lot of us are already thinking that way, I'm really looking forward to when we all get together. I would say great pictures, but you already know 😊😊
    P.s- There was cake? 😩😩

    Portableisthenewhot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol while we step it up maybe we need to do the planning. And yes there was cake but it wasn't free oh. And thank you, credits to Larisa for some of them.

      Delete
  2. See people craving for even in Abuja while i'm here in Lagos with all these events at my finger tips and i'm either too shy or lazy to attend (more of the former). I really need to step out more.

    Lovely piece dear, well curated. I watched the event all on my IG *lol*, but I could tell it was a fun event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol girl you know that saying you don't know what you have while its there well that applies to us. We crave such events because we rarely have them as opposed to you but you should definitely go out more. And thank you for the comment, this post took quite a bit of time 😊

      Delete
  3. Seems like it was a very fun event. I love Janet's blog!

    www.adabeauty.com.ng

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was a good time catching up with fellow bloggers. I just discovered Janet's blog but I'm sure I'll like it too.

      Delete
  4. These pictures are so great, everyone looks very stylish. Looks like a lot of fun. You look gorgeous Sarah, your skin is so lovely. xx

    Coco Bella Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Demi, been really trying to up my photography skills. Slow but steady though. And thank you though honestly my skin has issues but thank God for it.

      Delete
  5. I am brownie relaxed her hair??
    Gorgeous ladies.
    Sarah, your passion will take you places just keep at it.
    πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Ugo I know it looks like that but nope she's still natural. And thank you. Amen to that Amen

      Delete
  6. Looks like a lot of fun - and everyone was slaying!

    http://skylish.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful ladies, each and every one of them looked gorgeous!

    Thanks for sharing Sarah!

    xo, Sheyla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! Let me say thank you on their behalf lol. Thank you for reading.

      Delete
  8. Love this amazing post, beautiful pictures as well, the outfit are fabulous. Thank you for sharing, all of you look gorgeous!!!

    xxx

    www.bridesonamission.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos and I'm really enjoying the ankara fashion you pointed out.

    www.berrydakara.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all the photos used and I see my girl, Mide, slaying it.
    Thank you for sharing!

    OrΓ©oluwa’s blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and yes Mide was indeed slaying.

      Delete